Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

5th October

It must be something about Thursdays, last week we had the bitch with seven pups, yesterday I walked in to four messages again, all wanting dogs re-homed one had two dogs, so that was five dogs in total, as I went to play them through again the phone rang, yet another one!

One of the calls was a bit different, it was a solicitor concerned about an elderly female SBT left alone in a house after her owner had gone into a hospice. There were no relatives only an executor of the will.
 Builders from next door had let the dog out and fed her that day and could do so the next but the concern was that the dog would be alone over the weekend before other arrangements could be made
.
I explained our situation e.g. no space, but said I would be happy to speak with the executor. (The dog was about half an hour from me.)
 In the meantime I ran it past Val who took advice from a larger rescue and came up with a set procedure, suggesting if possible the dog being booked into boarding kennels.
When the executor rang me I discovered the owners will stated the dog be looked after by Dogs Trust after her death and that she had left them a legacy for this purpose.I suggested  boarding kennels to the Executor to which she said she could not do as she did not have the dog's vaccination history so no kennels would take her. She also said, with some anger that no solution had been found, she obviously thought I was going to wave some magic wand and take all responsibility for the dog from her! I tried saying she could take the dog to a vet and get it vaccinated but she said this was too difficult for her.
 I said I would get back to her.
 I reported back to Val but then made sure I got dinner for my family who were all waiting hungrily for me to finish on the phone.

Dinner in oven I rang her back offering to meet her at the house the next day so she could sign the dog over to me and I would either take the dog home and keep her for the weekend or take her to a vet, get her vaccinated and book her into a kennels BUT that I would need reimbursing for costs as our rescue was very low on funds.
 She was much nicer than in the earlier conversation, but said she did not have access to the owners money and she did have one more avenue to try and that was an emergency number for Dogs Trust!
Oh yippety do! Now she tells me.
 She said she would ring them first thing in the morning (as it was late and they would be closed.) I asked that she rang and let me know what happened even giving her my mobile number in case  I was still needed to make a trip up the A3 ... and guess what?     She never bothered ringing.

I hope Dogs Trust appreciate their legacy, next time I will get dinner before returning the calls!
Chloe looking rather pink!

Little Chloe had a bad reaction to the treatment for her Demodex. Her skin went florid and thickened and was hot and she obviously felt awful. She did keep eating and drinking which was good but she was so miserable we went back to the vet and she was given some antibiotic for her skin. Jane was still away but I have booked her an appointment with Jane, when she is back (Hooray!) on Monday, as Jane is familiar with the treatment and can advise us. It could just be the treatment doing its stuff.
 Chloe is gradually looking better and I gave her a Malaseb bath yesterday, after she got soaked on her walk, and that has helped.
 She has grown as we tried putting her in her little blue harness that Sam Keen bought her and it looked ridiculous, more like a collar.
She will go to Abi, her new foster on Tuesday morning ... and Jesse will come back as Moose is going in for his op.
Kate is very pleased with Jesse.
 He now settles with Lara and Moose and does not play continually. He plays nicely (not too roughly) with other dogs and settles in the evening with no biting (though he did chew through the laptop lead, oops!)
It is now for me to keep up the good work Kate has done.


1 comment:

  1. Sadly as with most people they don't realise the effort and strain sorting problems out put onto a rescue namely you Alison, of which Thanks is very rarely forthcoming........ Hope you enjoyed your dinner!!!!!
    Glad that Chloe has recovered and hopefully on the way to good health. xxx

    ReplyDelete