Pages

Saturday 4 February 2012

4th February

As I am writing this, at 10pm, I can see the snow falling, just as they said it would, though it started earlier than I thought.
I have been outside most of the day. This morning at the ponies, the cold was ferocious -5, the ground solid and still no running water, though the fresh ice on the buckets was not particularly thick. Within minutes the fingers of my left hand became so painful I could not carry on with jobs but had to force myself to bend and rub them until they warmed up. I fetched water from the house to fill the buckets in the yard.
The roads were very quiet and not much busier by mid-morning, I thought people would be out early stocking up on supplies and doing things while they could still get around. I suppose not everyone listens to the weather forecast and even less believe it.
By mid-morning and with some sun there was a subtle change and it even felt rather pleasant in places,the ground was softer here and there but still very cold.
We tipped a kettle of boiled water on the tap in the yard and left it switched on, nothing!
The sunshine was hazy, coming and going and then around 2pm dark, grey clouds moved in.

Around 3.30pm I tried the tap again, despite it feeling colder than ever, we had water!
Then I knew the snow was coming!

The ponies had a second feed and we turned them out with plenty of hay at 4pm and took Angel and Chance a last walk.
Just as we arrived home it began to snow, little sleety bits. By the time I had brought the dogs in there was a sprinkling like icing sugar. By now there was lots of traffic and the road remained wet. Around 9pm the snow became heavier and the traffic less and within half an hour our road was covered. It has continued to snow heavily, swirling in the street light and it has a distinctive hiss as it falls.

I took the dogs out early for their last visit to the garden. Despite not being certain of Boycie and Chances ages, they all appeared to have encountered snow before. Out of all of them, Boycie is the only one who requires a lead. Old dog Tara was particularly unimpressed and is now snoring next to the radiator in my bedroom, thus flouting the 'No Dogs Upstairs,' rule.

Cars are still coping with the conditions though they are taking more care. So we will see what the morning brings. My husband is scheduled to take 8am communion at Shere, followed by 10am communion back here at St T's. He drives a 4x4 and is part of the Surrey 4x4 response team (currently on stand by for SurreyPolice/Surrey county Council and South Coast Ambulance Service) so he should be able to make his own services! At times like this I have to admit our life does NOT conform to average.

10.50 snow fall heavier than ever. Two teenage girls have just tottered past the house, pausing to take a photo of each other with their phone!

I love the snow. I love watching it fall, I love the way it changes things, I love the effect it has on people (and animals) I love the disruption, the way it looks, the beauty of it. Every snowfall is different, I like it when it makes everything stop.

It won't last long, but while its here I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment