Pages

Saturday 11 February 2012

11th February

I have just discovered how to comment on the blog! Or rather, I have just commented on one of the blogs, I have never managed to do it before, maybe it has changed recently?
St Martha's in the snow.

At 8 am this morning it was reading  -12 at the ponies! Unbelievable. At least there was plenty of redeeming sunshine, tonight is not supposed to be as cold, lets hope not.

The back of our house, Friday morning.
Friday, however, was a pleasant day. The snow much nicer than last week.
Steven and I walked Khan, Spryte and Boycie up to St Martha's and then back down through the Beech woods  to the gunpowder mills.
The retractable lead I had on Boycie, broke not far into the walk, making things very difficult. It is not easy to see ahead for any distance on this particular walk, so hard to allow them off lead if you are not sure of them, but we did let him off several times for a run.
We did so as we crossed the water meadows to the powder mills. There was ice on flood water and Steven began to tell me about a man who had died trying to rescue his Labrador who fell through ice.
He had only just started speaking when Boycie did exactly that, running onto the ice which cracked and gave way. In seconds he was struggling, although it was not very deep he has particularly short legs and his head was going under the solid ice. We were just about to intervene when he managed to climb out, soaked in icy water but otherwise fine.
Both Steven and I agreed that if one of our dogs did really get into difficulties we would go in to help, despite the danger we would not be able to stop ourselves, I pray none of us ever find ourselves in that situation.
Going up to St Martha's.

I felt some urgency during the last part of the walk to get Boycie home to get him dry and warm. Fortunately there was some clean bedding on the radiator for his bed when we got in. He seemed none the worse for his experience and came over to the ponies with me later ( he is getting much better in the car.)

Val has been struck down with what they think is 'Reactive Arthritis,' following her chest infection. Her joints particularly in her hands and feet are very painful. She is awaiting the results of blood tests.
I am sure you will join with me in wishing her a speedy recovery.

It's almost Valentines Day surely spring is just around the corner?

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness Boycie survived his small ordeal. We are always warning about the dangers of frozen rivers and lakes at this time of year as we have heard of so many incidents, some not as lucky as Boycie despite efforts from owners.

    Everything crossed that the blood tests come back ok for Val and a speedy recovery is on the cards.

    If it gets any colder I am sure we will see Polar Bears soon - brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts. Could it possibly be working? I feel a lot better today! Will see what the rest of the day brings and hopefully will be able to get out with the dogs tomorrow. I feel so bad that I haven't been able to walk them but Stuart has braved the weather for me taking them out, which is no easy task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would just like to point out, we did know the water wasn't deep else we would have kept the dogs on leads.

    ReplyDelete