Pages

Tuesday 28 February 2012

28Th February

Until recently we kept Poultry, rare breed chickens and ducks. My favourite part was when the chicks and ducklings hatched, a perfect little creature emerging from an egg and the joy of new life.
However, inevitably, each year we lost some, sometimes to disease, sometimes an accident, the joy in new life, tarnished by death and sadness.
 I mentioned this to a farmer friend from my home village,'Ah, yes,' he said knowingly,'we say,' when you have livestock, you have deadstock.' This I am sure you know is a pun as deadstock usually refers to equipment as in a deadstock sale, as opposed to a livestock sale. A sort of farmers joke.
 I found it tremendously comforting, I wasn't doing anything wrong, that was just the way it was.

 I believe it is the same with dog rescue too, yes it is lovely to take a dog from a pound and see it transformed and happy in a new home but the reality is it doesn't always have a happy ending.

Last Tuesday morning I received a call from the kennels where we were boarding Sandy. Things had gone downhill since I had last seen her. She was jumping at her lead and at peoples feet when they tried to walk her and that morning had jumped at the kennel girl snagging on her jacket and not letting her out of the kennel.
The proprietor said she could no longer keep her there and let the youngsters walk her, asking had I homed anyone or could I swap her with another dog? The answer to both questions being 'No.'
Not only that, I had been concerned for some time about whether she was really safe to rehome, for this very reason of her jumping and grabbing. It was not aggression but excitement but still pretty dangerous if it got out of hand. I had been avoiding the truth but now I knew I had to make that awful decision.

I know for some of you reading this you are going to find this very hard, but in reality  putting dogs down is as much a part of responsible rescue as the happier side.

As in other instances I always take the dog a walk first, going somewhere they know and love, as I did with Sandy, taking her to the ponies where she ran in the snow the first winter she came.
 I also stay with them throughout and due to our skilled and wonderful vet and her team the whole process is as kind and respectful as it can be.

It was particularly hard to reach this decision for Sandy as we had launched our great appeal to take her in and that is how the blog started.
Perhaps in a different climate that special home would have been found with people who were responsible, a couple with no children and a calm life where they were prepared to work with her, but when people can pick up a puppy for less than our donation or get a dog for free from an advert why should they bother with a dog who already had problems and would demand lots of work.
We are struggling to home anything at the moment, even puppies.

So R.I.P. Sandy, run free through the snow beneath the moon as you did that first winter.

4 comments:

  1. I read the news about Sandy this morning and even now at the end of the day have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I never met her but vividly remember the excitement surrounding her arrival and the optimism around finding her a new home.

    It sounds as though in the end you had no choice Alison and have made the right decision, although it's sickening to think that in all that time no suitable homes were forthcoming.

    Like many others I don't think I'm emotionally equiped to deal with this tragic yet necessary side of rescue. Only a few people are - which is why it is so important that you and others like you continue the good work and are fully supported by the rest of us.

    So, in Sandy's memory as soon as I get home I'm going to send a small donation and remove her page from the website because it would be heartbreaking if a good enquiry came in for her now. Then I'll make an extra special fuss of my own dog, take her for an extra long walk, and be thankful that you gave her that second chance which so many dogs miss out on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely comment Mark. If only there were more like you who stop and think, will give a dog a chance and work with the dogs problems like you have with Poppy. It is soul destroying when anyone has to make the decision to pts a dog let alone one that is young and healthy with issues that have gone to the point of no return. Sandy is now at peace, running wild and free. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hard decision, one not lightly taken. But one that had to be made. Well done for taking it, and wth such compassion. It is such a shame that there are not the homes out there for these wonderful dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara Croydon Dog Warden14 November 2012 at 10:07

    R.I.P Sandy. Thank you to Guildford Staffie Rescue for giving her the chance she so deserved. Xx

    ReplyDelete