Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

20th July

The torch came! ... We were there! ... But did we see it? ...

Everyday this week I have written my list of 'things to do,' and everyday 'Cut the hedge,' was one of them
.
Dave's electric hedgecutters were broken and in any case he is never around of late so I was determined to borrow some hand cutters and do it. My life being what it is, it was 2.30pm this afternoon when I eventually started (torch due 4.45pm )
We have had signs for two weeks threatening to tow away any vehicles parked on the route and the road was already amazingly clear, the traffic light and the atmosphere beginning  to build.

Being out the front was exactly the place to be!

Sam helped me and it took just over an hour.
 I spend my life doing similar tasks but the difference with this one was, everyone saw me, it made a huge difference and I had numerous chats with neighbours I normally never see all the time keeping an eye on the events as they unfolded. Fantastic!

Police cars and tow trucks did indeed clear the route, though we didn't actually see anyone being towed away.
People came out to the front of their homes, some putting up chairs, a crowd gathered outside the village shop.

We were out there too with Lexus and Jesse.

Suddenly some coaches and minibuses came through led by policecars and a police helicopter in the sky! We waved and cheered, cameras flashed ... 1minute 16 seconds ... it was gone!

That was it!
We went back inside. I took Khan and Spryte down the garden only to meet my neighbour coming back up the drive, 'That wasn't it,' she told me, 'The actual torch is still to come.' Sam ran up the drive I went inside to tell the others, suddenly another coach sped past with police motorcycle outriders shooting past, another helicopter roared overhead.

So technically we missed it!

 But as far as catching the spirit of the thing we were most certainly THERE!

And it was great!





Things are going well so far for Chance in his new home, he has met many of the dogs on the estate, more introductions over the weekend.


An increase in emails and calls asking us to re-home dogs.
 One was moving abroad and said they were very impressed by our website and wanted to start the process as soon as possible. I told them what I tell everyone, we have no spaces and no homes. That one of the dogs with us has been here for over two years and our most recent intake eight months.
Some of them sound genuine but one cannot help  but feel suspicious at the increase as the summer holidays start.
 One it was barely disguised, saying they wouldn't be around much in the summer and the dog needed to go asap, they didn't even tell us the dogs age or whether it was a Stafford, but the biggest twist, they were in my village.
 I replied at length, saying I was happy to see the dog but because I said we couldn't take it in I have had no reply.

1 comment:

  1. "Crikey - forgot to mention that we're emigrating to New Zealand on Monday and that we're going under the congenital idiot scheme"
    How truly awful that such people can be in charge of a dog or even an earth worm.

    ReplyDelete