Pages

Tuesday 10 January 2012

10th January

Our Dog today is Peppa formally Fleur

Peppa is one of our success stories of 2011. Fleur as she was formally known was an urgent case. She really needed to come into rescue due to family circumstances but due to the situation with no homes coming  forth for the dogs that we currently have there was no room at the inn. Fleur's previous owner agreed to keep her whilst we put her on the website for re homing, including Stafford Welfare's and Epsom Canine Rescue's (ECR) with the kind permission of Nikki who runs ECR.
Alison and I waited, as we do, for applications and enquiries to come in. Nothing, then an application from Karen and James, they had just lost their Stafford whom they rescued. It looked good but they lived in a flat, no garden. What to do? Then I remembered advise that had been given. People who live in a flat have to take their dog for a walk, whereas those with gardens often tended to just let them out into the garden with no real exercise. Alison and I discussed it. I rang Karen and discussed Fleur with her, checks were done a  meeting was arranged. Karen and James adopted Fleur in November and none of them have looked back.

We recently received this email from Peppa.

Well I’ve got a new home and my new parents are really nice, they give me lots of cuddles. They have changed my name from fleur to peppa and I like it, sometimes I get called piglet, pepper pot, wiggles or cheeky monkey but I know it’s me!
It was a bit strange to start with because they live upstairs and I wasn’t really sure how they worked but I think I’ve mastered them now and I can charge up and down! We go to the park lots of times a day and it always smells great, there is so much to explore! We go to lots of different places for walkies too, I have even been allowed to go off my lead a few times which I love because I get to charge about like a loony! I’ve also been to the woods! Well that was just so exciting and I couldn’t believe how much fun, there was so much to sniff and I even chased a squirrel!
I was a little poorly a few weeks ago but I went to see the vet and now I’m all better, I heard that I’m going to be having an operation soon for neutering, I’m not really sure what that means but I’m sure it will involve me getting lots of love and attention.
I have found so many exciting things like my favourite purple tennis ball and my blue toy bone. But I think my favourite thing is when I get stag bars, I have so much fun running around showing it off to anyone who is here! And I play with my Kong when I am home alone, I get to listen to the radio too! The nice people who sent my harness also sent me some rawhides and I often try to hide them on the sofa but I always get caught! I have my very own blanket on the sofa and I just love to snuggle up into the cushions and have a snore!
I have made friends with all the neighbours and sometimes I go to visit them at their house, and I try to behave my best, but sometimes I just get too excited and I lick their sofas!
I am going to go to school at the end of January, I am going to see a lady who was on the tele on dog borstal (but I don’t think I’m that naughty that I need to go there!) I am going to have some classes because I don’t always do what I am told and also I don’t really feel that comfortable around other dogs, sometimes I get a bit scared and it makes me snappy, but I am lucky my parents understand it’s not because I’m a mean dog, so they are going to help me work on thisI was very scared when the fireworks went off on new year’s eve, and I ran into the hall but I wasn’t scared for long because mum and dad came and sat in the hall with me and said it would be alright, I soon got over it when I saw the packet of choccie drops come out!
Thank you Guildford and district Staffordshire bull terrier rescue for finding me a home where I am so loved and cared for!
 Peppa. X
 




I spoke to James tonight, Karen was out but he did not mind as he had his 2nd  favourite girl on his lap, cuddling him and giving him love as only staffies know how to.
We wish Karen, James and Peppa a very long and happy future together.





Today, Alison has received a call, one of many! Requesting to re home a young male stafford 1-2yrs of which seems a desperate situation due to the health problems of the owner. As it is local to me I will be going to assess the dog for suitability and the situation. However as urgent as the case maybe we are only able to help by the dog remaining in its current home until a new home can be found. 

Lets hope that all the dogs in Alison's care and those that are truly desperate find new homes in 2012.


Author: Valerie

4 comments:

  1. thanks to all at guildford sbt rescue for giving us our lovely peppa. sorry i missed your call val, but as i said in text, we wouldnt be without our little snufflepig!
    anyone who thinks staffs are a "bad" breed should spend just 5mins with one and they will see how loving they are.
    PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely no such thing as a bad breed. Any dog can misbehave or be aggressive if they have issues to be resolved or owners that have encouraged them to be that way. Don't all staffies love praise? And if they are praised for doing something 'bad' like being aggressive, then they will do it again because they want the praise and to be loved. I've seen many more aggresive jack russells and yorkies etc than any larger dog. Maybe it's 'small dog syndrome'!! Fleur is gorgeous, hope you have many years with her x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed reading Peppa's story. What a pretty girl she is and she looks very happy in her new home.

    ReplyDelete