Pages

Friday 24 December 2010

25th December

 Guildford and District Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescue wish you all a Very  Merry Christmas.

 

 Percy

 

Hi everyone.

My name is ......... well everyone now calls me Percy as I have to keep my original name a secret. I’m quite an old chap and my back legs are a little stiff. If you ever meet me you will recognise me by my red coat, short stubby tail and deep bark.

Sometime in 2007 I found myself without a home. I’m not very good with dates as I can’t read a calendar but I remember that the days were short it was cold and there were lots of coloured lights on trees and in peoples homes. I’m not sure how I managed to lose my way home but eventually someone in a van came to collect me and take me to a place that I heard them call Treetops where there were lots of other dogs that all had rooms of their own. They gave me a room of my own, where I could stay, that wasn’t as comfortable as my old home but at least I had a warm shelter for the night, a regular meal and somewhere to stretch my legs. I waited here for some time for my mum and dad to come and collect me but they never came. I didn’t have one of those special medals on my collar or the special new thing that dogs get to tell people where they live so they weren’t able to find my old home. I became miserable and grumpy as my teeth and back legs hurt and I wasn’t getting as much attention as I would like. Eventually when the days became longer and the temperature had got warmer someone called Alison came to take me to her home. She explained that she would try and find me a new home and take the pain away from my teeth and legs. I arrived at her house to be welcomed by Dave and some younger people that must be her children. Alison also introduced me to some other dogs similar to me called Spryte, Khan and Lexus. She made me comfortable and gave me something special with my food to help my joints. She also took me to see a nice lady in a white coat who took some of my teeth away to stop the pain in my mouth. 



After many days had passed, Alison explained that someone else called Valerie and Stuart would come to take me to a new place to stay. Alison explained that this was for a short holiday and that I would be looked after well but told me that I would be coming back to her after a few days so she could continue to find me a new home. Well, a few days turned into many days but I can’t complain because my new foster home was even more comfortable and had some more dogs similar to me who welcomed me into their pack. Their names are Daisy, Honey and Oscar. I was given a new bed and a new indoor kennel to sleep in while my foster parents were out at work.

I waited a patiently for very long time for a new forever home but nothing happened. I was secretly hoping that I would be able to stay at my new foster home forever. As the nights grew longer, the day came when my foster carers put up a tree indoors and covered it in red lights and shiny balls. I began to get a little worried that I might be let out again and lose my way home. Then one night, a man in a red suit with a red hood, black boots, black belt and shiny buttons belt appeared while everyone had gone to sleep. He whispered in my ear that my wish would be granted and that I would be allowed to stay forever. When everyone woke up in the morning my new mum and dad told me that I would be staying forever and I felt a warm glow inside.

So because I love my new mum and dad so much I try to be as good as I can. I even give them a nudge in the morning to wake them up and ask for a cuddle. They take me for lovely walks every day and I have heard them say that the distance is about 1 mile ....lwhatever that is. I get to play ball from time to time and my back legs have improved because of the exercise. I know I am an old chap and I don’t know how long I will get to spend with my new family before I go to rainbow bridge but one thing is certain, these will be the best and happiest years of my life.

In loving memory of Percy our inspiration. Run wild and free.


2 comments:

  1. what a lovely warming story of Percy , Run free lovely lad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely warming story of Percy , Run free lovely lad xx

    ReplyDelete