Pages

Friday 24 December 2010

24th December


A rescue dog speaks..........                                               

Tis the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Not even a mouse.

The other dogs are all sleeping
Of that I am sure
Because I can hear
The occasional snore.

But I lie and remember
A Christmas before
When I had my own home
I was loved and adored.

I can't understand it
Did I do something wrong?
Was I bouncy and boisterous?
On the lead was I strong?

It's just not the same
Though the rescue staff care,
As being the only,
The special dog there.

I have so much affection
Love and faithfulness to give
If only there was someone
Who I could live with.

If I had been there
On that first Christmas morn
The babe in the stable
I would have kept warm.

By snuggling up close
As only Staffords know how
As I would with the children
Of my own family now.

Tis the night before Christmas
And all I desire
Is a home of my own
And a bed by the fire.

So I'll close my eyes now
And dream of that home
Where I will be loved
No longer alone.

Harry and Trixie both know what it's like to spend Christmas in rescue kennels.
They were booked in with their two pups when their young owner lost his home.
Trixie and the pups were signed over to Guildford SBT Rescue but the owner hoped he could keep Harry and paid for him to stay in kennels.
Trixie was adopted by Sam and Jim as a companion to their old dog Susie.
Eventually in the Autumn Harry was signed over to the rescue but remained in kennels as there were no foster spaces.
Christmas came and went, still Harry waited, by now he had been in kennels over a year.
Then Susie died and Sam and Jim on hearing  Harry was still there, contacted the rescue.
Not only did Harry have a home at last but he and Trixie were re-united!
It's our own Christmas fairytale.

2 comments:

  1. awww thats my lovely H&T , i love telling their story its like a real love story :-)

    Thanks to Alison for letting us adopt Harry & Trixie they have both truly enriched our lives and we love them both so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Alison a fantastic blog. lets hope that all the dogs in rescue get a happy ending like Harry and Trixie.
    It may be to late for Christmas for the others dogs but hopefully they will all have a fireside of their own soon.

    ReplyDelete