Pages

Saturday 22 December 2012

21st December

Dave informed me just before he left for work that the trap had not caught the rat and that he had moved it nearer the dresser and that it should not be in reach of the dogs.
I came down took Sprite and Lexus down the garden brought them in and fed them, also Khan, who Dave takes out when he gets up. I then watched the weather, dismay and despair! It looks like the Riding School Christmas party is going to be wet. Engrossed in the weather I slowly became aware of a strange noise from the kitchen. Surely not? Oh yes it was! Lexus was in the corner licking the peanut butter from the rat trap. I didn't hear it go off but he seemed unharmed, however he did have a little trouble manoeuvring out from the corner, his usual very efficient reverse gear suddenly absent.
Chloe was next out, I noticed immediately her skin had settled down from her recent treatment and she was feeling better. As soon as she had finished her breakfast, she too found the trap and the peanut butter!
Enough was enough, the trap was removed from the dresser corner.

I left home at 9.30am with Angel, Rosie and Chloe on board. There followed a busy day. All dogs had a good run.
It was a beautiful day and very peaceful at the ponies, but I had to go to the bank and dread of all dreads needed a few essentials from the supermarket. The idea was to do this, return home and then come back later to turn the ponies out.
However, after discussion with my daughter it was agreed she would walk our dogs at home and after my visit to town I would turn the ponies out, thus saving a journey and leaving the evening free for baking for the party tomorrow.
A good plan especially as the 'town' bit took far longer in the Christmas rush.
However by the time I reached the ponies, even after a supermarket sandwich, I was beginning to flag.
Eventually all chores completed I took the dogs out for a quick walk, individually so they could concentrate on what they were supposed to do.
When I took Chloe she ran into the field, picked up a scent and completely deaf to my calls, ran off disappearing into the woods. It was by now almost dark. She is chipped but she broke her tag the other day, besides I had loads to do once I got home and I just wanted to be there not here.
I walked Rosie to try and entice her back, nothing. Then I could see her, I called, sent a text  home saying I had found her but although I was in reach of her at one point, she was still hunting and ignoring me, ran off again. I could hear her and went into the field and called. She ran right up to me but was still hunting and ran off again!  Eventually I employed my driving off in the car tactic. She trotted up to me on the bridleway as if she had never left my side.
Maybe it is the rat that has awoken this hunting instinct in her, whatever it is we are going to have to be aware, she becomes very,very deaf.

Despite the late homecoming we have made 124 sausage rolls. The forecast is diabolical so they may be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment