Pages

Wednesday 7 March 2012

6th March

Having a spare ten minutes this morning I contacted the two local authorities whose land we cross in the proposed Stafford walk on 25th March.
Nugget settling well
I looked online first to see if I could find a map of the area they covered. I could not so I rang the switchboard of the first, explaining that I ran a dog rescue and was planning an organised dog walk to promote responsible dog ownership and had seen on my insurance I needed the permission of my local authority and the police.
She put me through to Environmental Health, as this is the department Animal Wardens come under it seemed reasonable, but they could not help. I was passed on to at least four different departments in the end. None of them having any idea what to do.
Eventually they suggested a lady, I have no idea of her department. She mused, I explained more fully, we would be on public footpaths, bridleways, roads. 'You need to contact Surrey County Council the.' I made unconvinced noises. Then she suddenly came up with the HSE Health and Safety Executive. It sounded unlikely, but I asked for a number. I waited whist she Googled it, telling me how informative it was but she couldn't see a number. I continued to wait until at last she found the number which she proudly shared, I recognised the code, it was for Merseyside!
She seemed to think she had been very helpful so I tried to thank her with enthusiasm.

Then I tried the other LA. Feeling by now I was part of an undercover survey.
I explained again to the lady on the switchboard. She did not answer but put me through to someone as it began to ring ...and kept on ringing ... she cut in again just before I hung up, answering as if for the first time and then realising said,'Oh yes you are waiting for refuse ... ' Then nothing, I tried a couple of 'Hello's, nothing!
I put the phone down and got on with my day.

I strongly dislike local authorities, that mixture of bureaucracy, self importance , and sheer bloody incompetence makes my blood boil.
It would be better to pretend naively you knew nothing.

I will try and ring the police ... meanwhile lets continue to promote our walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment