Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

7th september

On Friday last week I walked in and picked up a very distressing message of a girl crying down the phone and asking for my help and urging me to ring back! It was a local number, I rang back only for it to go on answer phone. I left a message. I felt very disturbed and anxious, what could be wrong? I very nearly walked up the road to where I know there is a girl with a Stafford who was expecting a baby, imagining all sorts of horrific things.
Then the phone rang again, a different number, a mobile I snatched it up. a similiar voice,upset, crying, I listened. Her 7 year old male Stafford had attacked a visiting child as she rode a bicycle. He was wearing a busta collar due to an ear infection which she believed had lessened the injuries he had inflicted. Obviously shaken she said she could no longer trust him with her own children and she wanted him re-homed.
 I explained as gently as I could that re-homing was not a suitable solution and her options were few.
Then I asked,'You rang me earlier?' 'No,' she answered' It only happened a few minutes ago.'


An un-related pic of Angel. I like this photo of her as she looks so relaxed.
 I rang the original number, this time getting an answer. She apologised, all ok now, she had panicked.
Apparently her friend had arrived and bent to greet her young male Staff and he had jumped banging into her nose and causing a nose bleed, she had panicked, rung me, but now she had spoken with her vet, they had sorted a plan to neuter and train him, all was ok.

Later that day , yet another message.
I returned the call.
This lady, again sounding similar and asking for help, had a Stafford and another breed of dog. Having been fine for years the Staff had attacked her other dog and she felt she could no longer keep them together.
As the reality dawned on her she began to cry.

I have no idea why suddenly I should get three such similar calls from alike sounding women all upset and asking for help.
The first, the most alarming, turned out to be the least  severe.


Angel again, in disguise, she loves to roll in puddles!
 I hope I was of some comfort even if I could not really help.

1 comment:

  1. It's always a matter of concern to me when vets use neutering as a means of controlling a dogs behaviour. Apart from the fact that neutered males have an increased risk of several life threatening cancers, one cancer in particular being prostate cancer where medical evidence shows that neutered males are 2.5% more likely to contract this cancer than an entire male, it's the effect on behaviour that's an issue resulting in more instances of dog on dog aggression. In this particular case, the friend was at fault because by bending over the dog she was demonstrating aggression and the dog faced with this was by jumping up demonstrating appeasement behaviour. Just goes to show how WE so often get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete