Pages

Monday 18 April 2011

17th April

This is the post for Sunday 17th but I realise it is going to go out after midnight.
Another glorious day and I understand it is set to continue. I am just soaking it up, remind me when it is pouring with rain again and the dogs are muddy.
I have had another beautifully relaxed day, although things have not really improved in the morning and the dogs woke us, but then Khan was desperate, maybe better a rude awakening than an unpleasant surprise when you come downstairs!

When it came to Sandy's walk, Spryte chose to stay with my daughters who were sunbathing having been walked earlier, I really didn't want to go. It takes so long to get up to the field where she can run and it was so busy with everyone out and about. However, once in the field we were alone greeted by a mass of bright yellow and the air heavy with scent. I took my time whist she ran down the tracks between the now head high Oil Seed Rape. Near the bottom of the field she ran off, obviously following something by the track she took, so I stopped, taking the chance to study a Peacock butterfly sunning it's wings, pink petals blew over me like confetti from a tree I couldn't even see,the effort of walking up there was rewarded.
Soon Sandy was back, her mouth wide in that Staffie grin. I was transported back to what is probably my first memory of a Stafford. I was four and we went on a Saturday afternoon to visit the builder of our new house, a Mr Sace. It was a warm day and his house had a vast expanse of neat lawn and bowling round it was a dog and several children. My father told me it was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I remember it charging round with that ungaily Staffie gait and huge grin followed by the children some of whom were quite small. The harmony of relationship between dog and children was obvious, I think I was quite shocked they were not worried by the solid, cannoning body and huge mouth! What a great introduction to our beloved breed.

Cleo xray tomorrow, early start, better get to bed.......

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A LOVELY PIECE - IT SMELT OF SUMMER!
    But beware the rape seed fields. Once down the so-called "tramlines" little Staffies - and bitg ones too - lose all sense of direction. Last year, I spent a good two hours listening and whistling as Monty ran bakcwards and forwards looking for me. Often I could hear his medal jingle, but he couldn't make out where I was.

    ReplyDelete