Pages

Friday 30 December 2011

30th December

It's nearly 2012,  hope and faith is renewed.
I took in Luci a 20 week old puppy as a foster never dreaming that one so young could have so many behavioural problem. I am well used to having puppy Staffies and was not undaunted by the fact but nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to encounter.
The first night Stuart and I had no sleep with her constant barking and whining until Stuart took her out of her crate and slept with her on the bed in the spare room. The next day we took her with us to Bristol on a business trip but when we left her in the car it was apparent that she would under no circumstances be left willingly in the car. She was allowed to come into the sales room with us where she settled on top of my feet, if she could have melted into me she would have. Luci would not go out in the garden unless I went out with her, then as quick as a flash back indoors only to run upstairs later to poo or wee. As soon as she lost sight of me she would throw a tantrum barking and whining. I realised that there was obviously some deep lying problems, which should not be with a 20 week old pup. I contacted the previous owners mother explaining what I had been encountering and that I needed to know a truthful account of her back ground and behaviour so that I knew what I was dealing with. From the conversation it was quite apparent that Luci suffered from separation anxiety, was not house trained or trained in anything, she jumped up and bit with intent, biting any part of you that she could get hold of. She was a puppy that was never left, only taken out in the garden when her owners were having a cigarette break, tied her up to a wardrobe when they went for a shower in case she chewed. This puppy had no input with regards to training from them, they thought she would train herself!
The first week I took her to work with me. When in the van and left she would just curl up and go to sleep. Out in the gardens she would walk on my heels as I mowed the grass, it was me and my shadow. At home I was unable to go into any room or the garden without her or she would throw a tantrum, even with Stuart there and the dogs. I knew that unless Luci could be turned around she would need to be put to sleep. It is not a decision that is taken lightly and unfair on a dog to be pushed from pillar to post throughout its life. Everyone has to go out at sometime, shopping, the doctors, hospital appointments etc. The way Luci was it would only exacerbate out of control and she would probably also become destructive. She was not re home able and her future looked bleak. I contacted Robert Alleyne from the T.V. program Dog Borstal and discussed Luci he explained that unless I was prepared to keep her for a while there would be no point to a consultation as all it would be doing is controlling the situation not curing it. I agreed and he kindly gave me a special rate as Luci was in rescue and arranged to come to see her on Tuesday 22nd December.  However on the Friday prior to this Luci had a tantrum in the crate which lasted 4 hours! It was like Chinese torture, I spoke to Alison who could not believe the noise that she was making, John, the chairman of Welfare rang he could not believe the noise. In desperation I rang Robert Alleyne to ask for advice prior to his visit sadly he could not give any as he had not assessed her and gears his advice to a specific dog and the situation. Luci continued, I turned the radio up, I really don't know what my neighbours thought, still the barking and whining continued. I could have easily taken her there and then to the vets.  Out of shear desperation I kicked the crate and screamed shut up!!! I cried to think that I had been pushed that far and it is something I am not proud of but suddenly there was silence and Luci slept for 2 hours. I was counting down the days to Robert Alleyne's visit, hoping for a miracle as I knew that I could not continue the way things were.
Tuesday 10am the doorbell rang, the dogs barked, I opened the door and larger than life, or so it seemed was this smiling, reassuring face looking back at me. Daisy, Honey, Oscar and Doris greeted him and settled whilst Luci jumped on the chair ran up his back onto his shoulders, biting his neck arms and hands. He promptly put her on the floor and held her there with her squealing, Daisy and Honey rushed over to make sure she was alright but I told them to leave and they walked away.



Robert asked about the problems I had been encountering, I explained I kicked the crate on the Friday and that Luci quietened and went to sleep he reassured me that it was obviously what she needed. I told him Luci's history, her diet including treats and her daily routine, and how was she within the pack. All the while he was assessing Luci, our dogs and me. After a couple of hours I had to take out our dogs so that all that was left in the room was Robert, Luci and I, he undertook a training session with her on the LEAVE command with two training aids, two cuddly toys and some treats suddenly she changed into a different dog! Stuart could not believe the transformation when he came home from work that evening, saying it was worth every penny to see her like it. Totally amazing, even as I write this looking back I cannot believe it. Robert was here for a total of six hours. I also have to work with Oscar my big delinquent who does not always take notice of me!
Luci's diet has been changed, with on going training exercises and a weekly update to Robert on Luci's progress. Suddenly Luci has a future!!!!
I am now able to leave a room without her, she will happily settle and sleep next to any of our dogs instead of Stuart and I. Luci goes out in the garden on her own or with the dogs without rushing back in, she is house trained, sleeps in a crate at night without barking or whining. I can even get up in the night to go to the toilet without her starting, you do not know how much a relief that is! Her jumping up and biting is 90% better. She will sit and wait in the hall when the door bell goes not rushing up to the visitor. Her re call was always excellent partly due to her separation anxiety. Luci will sit until you throw a ball return with it, drop the ball and sit. Today Stuart and I went shopping, as always the dogs are separated Luci was put in her crate with a marrow bone there was silence as we left and on our return after one and a half hours we stood outside our house listening for the tell tale barking instead SILENCE reigned. Luci should be up for re homing if all continues well in the next month or so. Whilst we will be sad to see her go at least we know that we have given her an extra chance of a good life and at such a young age she deserved it even if she did take us to hell and back.

You may ask why are we not keeping her?  Realistically we could not afford another dog with vaccinations, insurance, Advocate, worming and vet bills, food and not to mention 2- 3 hour walks each day.
So whilst everyone is enjoying their New Year celebrations without a worry about lying in bed the next morning to recover. Take a moment to think of Alison who will still have to get up to feed water and exercise the dogs in her care whilst waiting for a home of their own.


I would like to thank you all personally for your support and Wish You All A Very Happy New Year.
Author  Valerie

1 comment:

  1. Page 29 of today's (Sat) Times has a very helpful piece about Staffies, bless 'em

    ReplyDelete