Pages

Tuesday 27 December 2011

27th December

We have had a very pleasant Christmas so far here at the Oakden abode especially considering we are a very full house indeed.
We even managed lunch at my brother in laws yesterday. They graciously ate early so we could leave in time to walk dogs before dark, meaning we had all the best bits like a delicious lunch, and missed all the awkward bits, like making conversation afterwards, should have thought of this years ago.
Batley

No special events today so I set out to give the dogs more exercise. Only problem everyone was out walking today.
I took Chance up the bridleway in the woods. When I let him off he shot off full pelt up the hill, I called and he came back only to take off yet again, this time when I called he did not return. This is so out of character as he usually sticks to me like glue and has only recently become confident enough to venture further but never far or for long.
Despite continued calling, nothing! I hate it when this happens, although there is no immediate danger of roads or the like, when you can't see them you don't know what they are doing (awful pictures flood my mind) and they are hardly 'under control,' as the law requires.
After a long ten minutes a friend came by jogging and stopped to help, she thought she heard something and after I continued calling we heard someone calling back, not very often and not very loud. I puffed up the steep hill to find a girl with a big male Staffie cross, that has gained quite a  reputation locally for being out of control. There was Chance, apparently they had been playing happily for ten minutes! We must have followed them up the hill and Chance ran off to play.
Oh,' judge not that ye be not judged!' I have been 'tutting' when I met this dog, but now it was my dog who was out of control, and the owner was completely non condemning, perhaps I should suggest walking together again!

It is funny how one remembers events. I certainly have had problems remembering the dogs we have homed this year despite numbers being down on past years. I have had to check back and I had forgotten Batley.
Forgotten because he was so easy. We didn't have him very long, he was SO straightforward and he went to my friends Paul and Sue at the Wheatsheaf in Bramley at the beginning of March. I only rang them about something else and happened to mention him, the rest, as they say, is history. He settled in almost immediately and is adored by all he meets, which is quite a few as he lives in a pub! During the day he accompanies Paul to work, for Batley it is the perfect life.
I could only find one picture of him and that was after much searching.

Counting up we have homed 9 dogs so far this year, still time to make it double figures...

No comments:

Post a Comment