Pages

Thursday 20 October 2011

20th October

We will be at Pets at Home Godalming store again tomorrow Friday 21st October and Sunday 23rd October 10am/4pm  All welcome.

I am writing this from a new location, I have moved into the hall way with my back against a dog crate!
There is a reason for this, lets rewind 24 hours or so or even to Tuesday night.
Tuesday evening I spoke to a lady who was interested in adopting a small male SBT, she also had several more specifications. Encouraged with a possible home and the ensuing space left when Peppa went to her home on Saturday I emailed the kennels who regularly send me details of dogs they are desperate to find spaces for. I had noticed they had several nice males. If spaces are not found they go to Battersea, which is ok but it is a kennel environment and they have so many.

So I said I would have a space for a small male from 24th October.
Wednesday morning saw an early start and an excellent day at Pets at Home. I eventually got in tired at gone 6 pm. The answer phone was flashing and as I worked my way through feeding the dogs I saw there were 6 messages. I know something is afoot when there are so many messages.
I was right. Rebecca from the kennels had first rung before 9am about a small male she had and his reaction to other dogs pleading with me to ring back. She continued to ring throughout the day eventually about 3 pm she said I needed to get back to her else the dog warden would be taking the dogs to Battersea. There followed a final call saying all the dogs had gone and they had nothing remaining suitable for me.
Can you imagine how I felt? All the good conversations of the day suddenly meant nothing, I had let this dog down.
I have a friend Ali taylor, who works at Battersea. I messaged her and she said she was at Old Windsor the next day but she would see what she could do.
The next morning she rang bright and early to say the dogs were there at Old Windsor but which was mine?
'He is a brindle and white entire male,' I replied. 'They are all brindle and white males,' came the reply.
Rebecca said if you give him a cuddle he licks his lips! This seemed to help and Ali put him in an office.
I put aside my plans for the day, yet again, and set off to pick him up despite the fact we didn't have a space until Saturday.
When I walked into the building I could hear the most awful noise. 'Is that him?' I asked the receptionist with a sinking heart. It Was!
After signing him over, Ali showed me why it had been so hard to decide which one he was. There were several other similar dogs including a pup 4/5 months with mange. Ali would have been pleased for me to take him too.
Then I had a tour of the kennels. Nearly all Staffies. A short legged boy called Herman caught my eye. He had a black patch but otherwise he could have been my Lexus. He jumped up at the door and started making Lexus noises.
Time to head home, surely it had all worked out brilliantly, I had got the dog? But I couldn't stop thinking about the puppy and Herman.
New dog was quiet in the car. Once home I started walking everyone as today was my only free day to give everyone a decent walk.
By the time I got around to walking new dog, lets call him Chance I was beginning to have doubts and rang David Egan for advice on separation anxiety.
Once home all went well until I put Chance in his crate. He then began the most awful, frantic noise I had heard when I arrived at Battersea. Separation anxiety is the biggest no no for me. It is impossible to home them and impossible to keep them anywhere until this 'perfect' home comes along. What had I done? Our wonderful rescue had gone horribly wrong. We couldn't stand the noise! What about our neighbours? What if someone called the RSPCA? After all he sounded distressed.
I rang David in tears. He couldn't hear me because of the dog!
He talked us through what to do, especially not to reward him by letting him out.I drove to Pat H to buy a kong and fill it with peanut butter so he had a reward when he calmed down. The next plan was to sit with your back to the crate and slowly move further away.
This has worked, but I am still on the second step of the stairs and really,really need my bed now.
Come on Chance, we have given you a chance.....please take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment