Pages

Sunday 16 October 2011

15th October

Brrr gone a bit chilly tonight. Can't decide if we need to put the heating on or if the number of dogs in the house will keep the temperature up!
All is quiet here, which is surprising as none of the dogs had a really good walk today. I was working so Jade, Angel and Sapphire had to wait their turn for a run. Angel ripped the relatively new crate liner into shreds. Lots of green fluffy stuff all over the back of my car, renewing my resolve to never buy bedding with stuffing ever again!
The dogs at home had their walks curtailed by a village event taking place in the river field, how dare they!
Almost forgot an update on Lexus. He is fully recovered, bounding around full of the joys this morning. His smart blue bandage, disintegrated and fell off and apparently he insisted on going on the walk with everyone else and not just visiting the garden as I had expected. The nail looks clean and dry.

Hardly a day goes by without us being asked to take in at least one dog.
When we returned from Leicester Welfare meeting on Sunday there was a message asking for advice and if we could take a six month old male from Woking. I immediately thought it sounded familiar. Do you remember the puppy I had said I would see on a Monday about a month ago but when I rang they didn't answer? Well strangely enough when looking through the internet freeads for figures to take to the welfare meeting I came across an ad for this puppy Kye, they were asking for £200. I could only presume they had sold him over the weekend before I could get to see him.
The girl ringing me now how taken him out of a home close to her which she felt was unsuitable. Due to having a male dog with a medical condition she was unable to take Kye but her mother had him. However, after a fortnight he had destroyed the mother's house and they had advertised him and rehomed him only to get a call from someone warning them the family who now had him had had a dog taken away from them. She was on her way to get him back, wondering how they stood with that and also wanting us to take him in.
By the time I got back to her the family had agreed to hand the dog back and the girls husband was collecting him after they had eaten. I said I would make some calls and tried several rescue friends but no-one had any spaces.
With Sandy still in kennels I had a free crate. I rang back ready to offer a space even if it was for only one night. I felt so sorry for this puppy who had been shoved from pillar to post his whole life. When I rang the girl said her friend had taken the pup as she had two Staffies of her own. I left my number in case it did not work out. Only a few minutes later the phone rang again. The girls male Staff was attacking the puppy, could I take him?
Puppy coming, puppy not coming, puppy coming again...
By now it was late, I waited with the back door open, and went out to greet the new arrival. We lifted him from the car, the poor thing was terrified. As we tried to walk him down the road he dug his toes in. Suddenly the chap said,'Ican't do this, he has had enough i'm taking him home.'
The pup was only too glad to jump back into the landrover.
It turned out the man had lots of Stafford experience but just hadn't felt ready to take on another dog as they had three small children and the male dog but he couldn't see the pup be moved again. I leant them a crate and last reports were it was going ok.
This puppy is on his sixth home, one for every month of his life.
When they contacted the original owner the one who didn't answer my calls it turned out she was on holiday in Turkey, just a coincidence they needed the dog re-homed then.......

When I saw him he was a cross  EBT so we would have been unable to help anyway. Let's hope these people make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment