Pages

Friday 4 February 2011

4th February

Mark aired his frustrations with trying to adopt a dog from Battersea, but you know, this rescue "lark" is a pretty thankless task!
We are still receiving a high number of requests to take dogs in. These come from email  but also by phone despite the caller listening to a message saying we have no spaces and only to leave a message if they are calling about something else!
People who leave a message are dog wardens or other rescues, someone acting as a third party for someone who needs a dog rehomed, people who "I know you don't have any spaces but can you give me anyone else to try or some advice." People who just ignore it anyway!
One message this week was from someone who said he had found a dog running around the estate, had taken it in but couldn't keep it as he had two dogs of his own. I rang him back about to tell him to contact his local dog warden but maybe he had forgotten who he gave what message to as he answered the phone and said "Yeah it's my dog I need to rehome him!"
Another lady had given the "I know you are full, is there another number....."one. When I suggested Battersea she launched into criticism after criticism and said "I don't know how often you get there?" When I said I had been there that week and had found it fine she said I was obviously more with them than her and put the phone down!
Then I cannot tell you the number of times I have agreed to take a dog, only for them to change their mind or just not show up. This week I agreed to take a dog having heard about it for the second time only for the apparently "desperate" family to change their mind yet again.
"Are" I hear you say,"It is different for those wanting a dog." Not so! In fact hearing from someone wanting a dog I consider unsuitable, I find the hardest part of the job. Then there are the ones who do sound suitable, you get your hopes up and never hear from them again. Or the ones who want the perfect dog so every dog you suggest they reject despite wasting hours of your time. Or the ones who sound perfect but then they start stalling and then you find out it's not all so perfect after all....
And you start to think of all the things you could/should have been doing instead of wasting your time doing this..............but then every now and then it all works out..........happy people, happy dog..........happy ending! That's what makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment