Pages

Thursday 20 January 2011

20th January

Next Wednesday 26th January Stafford Welfare members are attending a meeting at Battersea Dog and Cat Home to show SBT breed club members how bad the situation with Staffies is and how many end up in rescue.
In preparation I am going to go through all my forms of dogs taken in, logging the circumstances and how many were KC registered. I am looking forward to seeing an overview, I will share my findings with you.

Yesterday we received five requests to take dogs in! Two were through emails and three by phone with messages being left despite my answer phone message which still states we have no spaces.

The first by email was for a mature dog, neutered, chipped, vaccinated. The owner had lost their business and were now having to work such long hours the dog was being left on its own all day and they wanted him to go to a home where he could have his needs met, something we would all like to see but there are no homes out there. We were unable to help.

The next email the dog was not getting on with the owners other dog. They had tried everything!
You cannot pass on a problem dog to another home. If we cannot home straightforward dogs we are not going to have a chance of homing one with dog aggression problems. This sort of owner is not likely to listen to advise and just wants a quick fix, throwaway solution, poor dog, but we cannot help.

The first phone message was from a veterinary nurse who had met us when we were collecting outside Pets At Home last year. This was a one year old brindle bitch who had been brought in to the emergency vets having been punched and kicked and dragged across a railway line by her drunk owner!
Having received initial treatment she was now fully recovered but still at the vets with no-one taking responsibility for her.
I felt we couldn;t ignore this one and another rescue agreed to take her and she went last night!

Another call, this time from Helen from Leicester SBT rescue regarding a six month old white female.Owner had health problems, Helen felt it was genuine.It was slightly closer to us than Leicester. Despite many attempts did not manage to contact them until this evening only to learn the owner had found a home for the dog!!

Then one I picked up when they started to leave a message. As it was a private number I knew I would never be able to take down the number correctly from the message, I was trying to eat my lunch despite the fact it was nearly four o' clock , then, whilst I was pre-occupied with the call, Khan came in and snatched my toast off the work surface!
This was a lady ringing on behalf of a friends daughter who had inherited a nine year old dog when her father died. Now, having just had a baby, she could not cope.
The lady ringing was very nice with experience of rescue but convinced she was the only one and that a rescue space or home would be forthcoming soon.
I passed her on to John but offered to put the dog on our website if he was unable to help. As yet I have heard no more, from her or John......

So ends another long day at SBT rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment