Pages

Monday 18 July 2011

18th July

Over the weekend we received an email from a lady who belonged  to a group who tried to secure rescue places for  pound dogs from Wales. She was enquiring if we had any places for several SBT's who otherwise would be put to sleep.
Today when I came in she had left a message, asking did we have any spaces and to get back to her with an answer.
I quickly returned her call. "I am sorry, we have no spaces." She sighed, "I am getting used to those words, never mind I will keep trying."
I have learnt to button my lip.
 There was so much more I would have liked to have said.
The reality is WE HAVE NO SPACES!

We have four dogs here which is at least one more than we can comfortably cope with. Three have been here over six months, one is a return after two years in a home. We still long for each to find a home where they can be loved and treasured.
 Yet they are sticking and until they are homed we cannot take on anymore dogs.
 We have several calls a day from people wanting to re-home their dog, some are genuine and have no choice, we cannot help them.
 So how do you think I feel when I get asked to take on a pound dog from hundreds of miles away whose history and temperament are unknown?
There are so many SBT's unwanted or abandoned in pounds that some have to die, and many are dying every day, this is the reality.
We can only help a few....
I put the phone down and turn to Sandy who has finished eating her dinner, I rub her ears and settle her in her crate with a treat, then bring Jade in and feed her......and so it goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment