Pages

Thursday 3 January 2013

3rd January

Our 8th Dog Of Christmas is Chance

Chance found himself as another stray Staffie in the pound kennels. Fortunately for him he caught the eye of Rebecca the manager there and she sent us several emails asking if we could help. We had no spaces and tried not to look, then we homed a dog unexpectedly and I emailed her to say we could take him.
It was during one of the fund raising weeks at Pets At Home and the next day I was in-store all day.
I got in to message after message from Rebecca begging me to get in touch as the Dog Warden was collecting all the dogs that day and taking them to Battersea. The last message said we were too late, they had gone. She sounded so sad, I felt awful, I had let her and the dog down.


However, we have contacts at Battersea, that night I messaged our friend Ali Taylor, sometimes modern technology has its uses.  She said she was not at the London kennels the next day as she was at Old Windsor but she would see what she could do.
In the morning we were in mobile contact, suddenly she called me, 'They are here! What does he look like?'
The dogs were all at Old Windsor, however finding him was a bit harder. My description of Staffie,male,brindle, entire, did not narrow it down much as that described most of them!
There followed the most exciting rescue with texts flying back and forth between myself, Ali and Rebecca.
''He licks his lips when you stroke him.' was one description from Rebecca. Ali was pretty sure she had found the right one and we managed to confirm it with the registration number.
 Meanwhile I navigated my way to Battersea Old Windsor.

When I walked in however there was the most awful noise coming from one of the offices. 'I hope that is not who I have come to collect,' I remarked to the receptionist.  It was!
He was quiet in the car but once home and in the crate he went mad making the most awful, awful noise.
This is something we really can't cope with and I wondered what I had let myself in for.
 I was given advice from a behavourist who was helping us at the time and spent the evening sitting with my back to the crate and gradually moving away. I ate my dinner and wrote the blog there!  It worked but it was obvious he had separation issues and he stuck to me like glue.
Gradually he settled. He was very handsome and responsive and we felt he would make someone a lovely dog but no home was forthcoming.
Then in July Lulu got in touch about another dog. I knew a bit about her and suggested Chance might suit her. I must admit I thought nothing would come of it, thankfully I was wrong.

So Chance found a home and not just any home. He now has the freedom of a country estate but more importantly a special bond with Lulu.
A real 'Rags to Riches' story with a Fairy Godmother in Rebecca who was determined to give him a Chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment