Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2013

22nd January

Today has been a slightly odd and very cold one.
I gave my eldest daughter a lift to work in Dorking. The roads were clear but lots of snow in the fields on either side. There and back is a lot of driving for me and I struggled with concentrating and irritating  my Sciatica.  At one point I commentated on a strange smell but it was just momentary.

Over at the ponies we were pretty iced up and slippy. The tap in the yard did not thaw and a kettle was needed to get the outside tap at the house running even mid-morning.
I removed packed snow from the ponies feet and scattered rock salt on the ice as well as ensuring everyone had enough to eat.
I became aware of an unpleasant gas like smell. I mentioned it to the cleaner and she said it smelt like oil and we checked the oil tank for a leak. Then the water stopped. A burst pipe? All the water at the farm comes from a well.  By now I needed to go leaving the lady of the house the concerns of no water and a possible oil leak!


I negotiated the back route to Pets At Home only to find the Wainrights food comes onto special offer tomorrow, definitely worth waiting for.
Once home I caught the end of a news report on the radio,' ...  coming from France, residents as far inland as Tonbridge in Kent have reported a smell like rotten eggs.'   Aha! It wasn't me or the oil.
Indeed it was a chemical leak from a factory in Northern France producing a Sulphur like smell reaching Kent, Sussex and Surrey.
At least I have one sense that is not fading!

The water turned out to be a frozen pipe near the well, thawed with kettles and horse blankets so at least we had water for the night but despite the rising temperature the yard tap did not thaw.
As I started the evening stable duties it began to snow and Rosie and Angel had a walk in a blizzard. Visibility was poor as I drove home.


So that was another day gone.
 Last night I had to visit the bathroom, downstairs, in the wee small hours, freezing cold, all five dogs were curled up fast asleep and every one snoring as only Staffies can.

No comments:

Post a Comment