Pages

Thursday 23 August 2012

Dog Lovers Day at Winkworth Arboretum Sunday 26th August 11am/4pm

Winkworth Arboretum,Hascombe Rd Godalming. GU8 4AD

We will be there.




You will be pleased to hear that Pup is just about back to full health but still likes Yogurt on his food!

'That Dog!' Lexus after his noted appearance in the Sausage Sequels is now taking up a healthier diet as its windfall time of year again. We have some miniature apple trees which, this year have fruit near the ground, so Lexus has not waited for the apples to fall but helped himself accompanied by his apprentice the pup who chews the lower branches of the trees whilst Lexus takes his desert! That pair!


Having a reasonably free day today I had resolved to tidy out my chest drawers. At the moment the top draw remains open and my socks and underwear are squeezed into one corner, the rest of the draw being filled with redundant 'stuff.' The further three draws remain closed full of clothes I never use, whilst the few clothes I do use are in one of the three overflowing laundry baskets or draped over a chair or on the bed. I apologise if this is TMD (too much detail) for the more sensitive among you but that is how I live.

Arriving home later than intended I thought I would just have a little sit down and started answering and making calls and writing the above. I had various calls come in and I was unusually there to answer them.
Suddenly one from a mobile, not unusual. a voice with a slight accent asked if I had a Boxer dog ?? I said I was a rescue and it became clear she had found a dog with my number on its collar in Haslemere!
I only have one dog in Haslemere, Bailey,  one of the earliest I homed I see his people in Godalming quite often.
 The lady was not at all confident with dogs but managed to get him back to her house, whilst we grabbed Bailey's details a lead and headed down the A3 and through the Hindhead tunnel.
The call came in at 2.12pm we there by 3pm but the dog we found was not Bailey but I was fairly certain was Boris. Sure enough he had one of our rescue tags on plus another with a number that came up 'unavailable.'
Boris had been homed to a lovely couple Jenny and Simon at the beginning of 2010 they lived just past Midhurst, my geography is hopeless but it was not that far away but Boris was in very good condition and did not look as if he had strayed far, perhaps he had got out of the car when they went shopping?
We rang Jessie at home and she lokked up his details, confirming it was him by the unavailable number, there was also a work number for Jenny. Work were very helpful but said Jenny was away at a funeral but that they had recently moved to Haslemere, aha! They said they would try and find an address and numbers. In the meantime Jenny rang, Guess what? Their address was the road we were in. A few minutes later we walked Boris up the steps to his  home, there was his bed and Kong toy, after greeting his family he had a drink of water and flumped down on the kitchen floor on his side.

This is what had happened :-

They had moved house very recently, Jenny had been away at her grandmothers funeral in Norwich for a few days and Simon had been caring for their daughter Rosa. Normally Boris would accompany Simon to one of his gardening jobs, so with two recent changes of routine he was unsettled. Simon had gone out just for 40 minutes and left him in the house but he had obviously panicked and got out of the french windows in their bedroom. He had not gone far at all when the lady found him and we were probably on our way to Haslemere before Simon came home and found he was gone and rang Jenny who was just arriving back from Norwich. She left a message on my phone at home and then work contacted her! Phew!

The very handsome Boris (on left) with Kassi when he was fostered by  Sandi & Graham.
Here is the timing of the calls:-

2.12pm Call to me to say a dog has been found.
3pm We arrive Haslemere
3.26pm I ring Jenny's work.
3.30pm Jenny rings me at home
3.44pm Jenny rings my mobile ... Boris is returned home.

They will get a new tag for Boris asap but he is chipped to the rescue so would have been identified.

I am still using one corner of the top draw of my chest of drawers ... oh well tomorrow is another day.

P.S. Jenny & Simon are a lovely couple who have provided Boris with a wonderful home. This could have happened to anyone and I would not have shared it had I thought they were at fault in any way. I am sure we all know what they went through when they couldn't find him and hope they are recovering today.



3 comments:

  1. So glad that Boris is safe and sound and back with Jenny, Simon and Rosa. Such a hectic day for you well done!!! It makes me think that it was a good idea to keep the dogs micro chip in GDSBTR name, I don't think you will be moving!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps Boris was just taking some time to explore his new area and introduce himself to his neighbours. Seems like all your days are hectic, must be frustrating at times to not complete tasks that you set yourself, and yet it must also be quite satisfying to be able to respond to calls like that and get such a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure that the time Boris was missing must have seemed like an eternity to Jenny and Simon. Oldest Stafford showed her displeasure at moving by bashing down doors to retrieve NEW shoes and demolish them. Must be the only house which has bolts on the outside of all bedroom doors to prevent staffies grab and either demolish or remaking of the beds tomtheirnwon satisfaction!

    ReplyDelete